NPR Wins Yet Another Major Royalty Owner Settlement, This Time From Enervest and Four Point
January 21, 2016
NPR represented a class of underpaid royalty owners in this action against SM Energy Co. and its successors, EnerVest and FourPoint. After vigorously prosecuting this action as class co-counsel for over four years, NPR obtained a partial settlement with respect to the claims against EnerVest and FourPoint totaling nearly $55 million on behalf of the class. This settlement consisted of a $52 million cash payment (which alone represents approximately 100% of the class’s principle claim for royalty underpayment) and contractually guaranteed future benefits that ensure EnerVest and FourPoint will not deduct certain specific costs from royalty payments for a period of 36 months. These binding changes to the Settling Parties’ royalty payment methodology have a present value of at least $2.9 million.
On December 23, 2015, the United States District Court for the Western District of Oklahoma granted final approval of the settlement. NPR continues to prosecute the remaining claims against SM Energy Co.
NPR’s complex litigation team—partners Jeff Angelovich, Brad Beckworth and Susan Whatley and associates Lisa Baldwin, John Hull, Trey Duck and Drew Pate—led the prosecution of this case.
- May 20, 2015 - NPR Wins Another Gas Royalty Settlement, This Time Against Laredo Petrol
- April 29, 2015 - NPR Elects New Partners
- August 14, 2014 - NPR Obtains Settlement on Behalf of Investors in GMX Resources
- September 10, 2013 - NPR Wins an $87.5 Million Gas Royalty Settlement from Range Resources. Together With its $155 Million Settlement Against QEP, This Settlement Ranks Among the Top Five All Time Gas Royalty Settlements in Oklahoma History.
- August 2, 2013 - NPR Obtains Final Approval of $155 Million Gas Royalty Settlement
- October 25, 2012 - NPR Lead Counsel in $280 Million Final Settlement
- July 6, 2012 - Federal Court Preliminarily Approves $280,000,000 Settlement in BNY Mellon Securities Lending Litigation
- June 6, 2012 - Court Approves Settlement in AFTRA Pension Suit Against JPMorgan Chase & Co